Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Liz Writes Life - 8-25-21 -- Ripe Tomatoes and Recall for CA Governor

August 25, 2021

Liz Writes Life

Garden report

The raccoon must have had enough of tomatoes, cuz they are not getting eaten; and at least a dozen tomatoes have turned red. I am so happy the raccoon has found something it likes better. Yay! So, yep, I am picking a few tomatoes every day and have made several more bacon and fresh tomato sandwiches!

It must be a cucumber year. There were at least four different varieties brought to church last Sunday and left on the sharing table! I keep picking five to eight pounds every-other-day. So far, I have been able to give them away. Zucs are pumping out just the right amount – to give away! Yep, still finding takers.

There are 17 nice-sized cantaloupes that have set on. Half of them get soaked, because they are near the roots where I irrigate. To protect them from rotting because of the soggy ground, I have lifted them up by putting thick cedar bark under each one. It will still be several weeks before any are ripe. My biggest fear is that the raccoon will return and eat on them. They do like cantaloupes. Corn-on-the-cob is also a favorite, but I didn’t plant any corn.

When my dad grew his garden at my parents’ home on Etna’s Main St., he had fairly good luck putting out an extension cord to light several bright bulbs in the corn patch at night to scare the raccoons away. I think I tried that once and it didn’t do much good. But, may need to consider it this year.

The giant pumpkins are doing really well. I am actually surprised at how big four of the five are getting. They are also turning from a yellow to the pumpkin orange color and that was before the cool spell that we experienced last week. Boy, the cooler temps were nice! And, the smoke went away or at least up high. I opened all the windows and doors and let the house get cooled off – down to 53 degrees one morning! It was so nice. I even didn’t mind putting on a light jacket for a few hours.

Gotta tell you that I was wrong. Several weeks ago, when I was putting thick wood cedar bark under each pumpkin, I noticed that roots were growing at many junctions on the vine where leaves are growing. Yep, they sure were – especially close to the main roots where I water in a large three-foot circle. With it so dry this year, I didn’t think the plants would do that. So, I now irrigate a much larger area including where those additional roots are growing.

The advice I found on the internet said these roots provide more nutrients to the pumpkins for growth. I have also fertilized several more times. The large leaves receive a nice hand-sprinkling each morning as well. If nothing else, the water washes-off the smoke ash. Sure hoping for some extra large pumpkins!

Recall

Guess I will talk politics. Most registered voters should have received mail-in ballots for the recall of Governor Gavin Newsom. To be counted, the ballots must be mailed before Sept. 14, 2021. I will be hand-delivering mine to the county clerk’s office at least a week early. Each county clerk’s office oversees the election and ballot counting in each county.

Just a reminder on how this election works. If more that 50 percent of California registered voters vote “yes” on the first question, which asks if he should be recalled – Newsom will be removed from office.

 If you vote “yes” for his removal, you should then vote for one of the 40-plus candidates running to replace him. There are nine Democrats running, a bunch of Republicans, two Green candidates and several that did not state party affiliation.

There will be no run-off in this recall election, because whoever receives the most votes will be the next governor of California and will serve out the rest of Newsom’s term of office. The next scheduled regular election for California governor is next year in 2022.

In recent polls, Larry Elder, a black conservative radio and television commentator and author, is in the lead. Boy, he is getting hit with negative, disgusting pieces in the news and ads. Guess, that means he may be a real threat. Congresswoman House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who is Newsom’s aunt, has begun stumping for her nephew. I expect campaigning on all sides to get nasty.

According to BallotPedia, on the web, there have been 55 attempts to recall a California governor since 1911. The only successful recall campaign was in 2003, when voters recalled Governor Gray Davis, a Democrat, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican, was elected. Arnold was a major leader in that recall. He had lots of campaign money and plenty of name recognition. I remember reporting on his visit to Redding, when I worked for a different newspaper.

So, there is the basic info on how this recall election works. If you believe one way or another, be sure to correctly mark and mail your ballot in sooner than later. For rather obvious reasons to a conservative, I will be voting “yes” and then marking my ballot for Larry Elder. I have followed him for several years and like his conservative statements on significant issues.

May peace and calm be with you this week. Smile – just cuz it makes you feel better!

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County. Columns from the past can be found at: lizwriteslife.blogspot.com. Call her at 530-467-3515.

# # #

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...