Monday, January 14, 2019

Liz Writes Life 1-15-2019

January 15, 2019

Liz Writes Life

Spring has sprung in my house. Several mornings, last week, I woke to the fragrance from hyacinths floating into my bedroom. Yep, they are in full bloom – a white one, two pink ones and a very tall lavender one that needed to be propped-up with a small dowel. And, there is one more that still should bloom. This is a bright spot on the kitchen table! And hyacinth is one of my favorite smells. My deep red rose is another favorite fragrance and I just love fresh jasmine blossoms, but the plants aren’t hardy enough to survive at my place.

Most of the tulip bulbs that I started over a week ago are showing life and growing, but the daffodils not-so-much. Only two of six are showing a tiny tip of green. Just like summer gardening, there is anxiety in waiting for seeds to sprout. The three hyacinth bulbs I started are really growing and should bloom in a week or two.

Yep, it is January and I am receiving gardening catalogs in the mail. One wants me back as a customer. It has been quite a few years since I purchased bulbs or perennials from it. Photos of bright-colored flowers sure are enticing, but I don’t think I will be ordering. Not because I wouldn’t like to have more flowers, but I struggle to keep the garden watered in the summer and do not want to bite off more than I can chew.

I do hope to find more soaker hoses that seep well through-out the entire 50-feet and re-do my irrigation system this spring. I will likely need to get several more battery-operated timers as well. But, I do plan to decide on the vegetable seeds and purchase them early this year, so I can get the variety I want. So, I can’t procrastinate! Ha, ha!

Oh, and I realized I haven’t covered the two hibernating rhubarb plants with manure. I did purchase 10 bags of steer manure last fall. They are stacked at the north-end of the house. With these warm days, they shouldn’t be frozen by the afternoon so I better use a bag or two on the rhubarb.

Swearing-in

On Jan. 7, 2019, I attended the swearing-in of our nine county officials that were elected in November. It was held at the Miner’s Inn Convention Center in Yreka and most of the audience chairs were filled. The ceremony was organized by the county clerk’s office. A beautiful program was handed-out with the American flag on the front and included short bios on the elected officials. 

Those officials are: Craig Kay as Siskiyou Co. Assessor-Recorder and Laura Bynum as Siskiyou Co. Clerk, who were newly-elected. Enjoying re-election terms are Siskiyou Co. District Attorney Kirk Andrus; Siskiyou Co. Superintendent of Schools Kermith Walters; Michael Kobseff, Supervisor for Dist. 3; Wayne Hammer Siskiyou Co. Treasurer; Jon E. Lopey, Col. USA (Ret) Siskiyou Co. Sheriff- Coroner; Jennie Ebejer, Siskiyou Co. Auditor-Controller and Ray Haupt, Supervisor Dist. 5.

Lisa Nixon, Siskiyou Co. Supervisor for Dist. 4, opened the ceremony and Ed Valenzuela, Siskiyou Co. Supervisor for Dist. 2 closed the meeting. Siskiyou Daily News reporter, Danielle Jester, wrote a good article that was published on the front of Jan. 8, 2019 SDN edition. She was right. What I believe was an unplanned theme -- echoed. It was “service above self” as written in the headline.

Supervisor Nixon set the tone with her address. She is frustrated at the “extremely tight” county budget and is impressed at the 
“commitment of county people at all levels” to get what needs to be done with less and less funds. Lisa thanked Ray Haupt for his “fine leadership and expertise” in Forestry and Natural Resources and budgeting. Ray served as chairman of the supervisors’ board last year and he was busy responding to citizens, groups, county employees, department heads and fires; along with and state and federal issues threatening the county.

Six of the elected officials spoke. It was heart-warming as they all thanked their family, friends and especially their spouse for her tremendous support. They were sincerely humble and admitted their jobs were not easy, but are determined to do the best they possibly can.

D.A. Andrus reminisced that he came to this county in 2005 with his wife, Heide, and four children. Now, he has six children and several are in college. He also coaches girls’ basketball at Mt. Shasta High School, before going to his day job.

His reference to the past got me to thinking about the county bi-annual swearing-in ceremony. Many years ago, it seemed to not be a big deal. I remember when it was typically held in the county supervisors’ meeting room. When more people became involved with the candidates and elections, more people attend the swearing-in ceremony and the board’s room was not big enough.

One year, maybe 2006, it was held outside on the courthouse steps. That ceremony was short with not many speeches. It was a cold January day, but I think the sun was shining.

This year, we were warm in the Miner’s Inn Convention Center. There was a nice-sized crowd that witnessed this simple, yet dignified ceremony. I appreciate the fact that our leaders swear to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the, sometimes conflicting, State of California Constitution.

I want to give a personal “thank you” to our elected and appointed leaders. As a past news reporter, and now columnist, I attend meetings, ask questions and get to know many of them. I feel strongly that our 2019 leaders are good people, who truly want the best for Siskiyou County. They see and must respond to the devastating aspects of our society with less and less funding.
I also want to thank outgoing Siskiyou Co. Clerk, Colleen Setzer and Mike Mallory, who served as Assessor/Recorder. Whether it was a professional or personal matter, both were always accessible and enlightening. Happy trails to your retirements.

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County and lives near Callahan. Call her at 530-467-3515. Check out her blog at: LizWritesLife.blogspot.com.

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...