Monday, August 30, 2021

Liz Writes Life - 9-1-21 -- Liz doesn't like Recall ballot envelope and Moffett Creek Bridge update

Sept. 1, 2021

Liz Writes Life

Recall and ballot envelope     

Last week, I discussed the election process for this potential recall of California Governor Gavin Newsom. One thing I forgot to mention is the timeline of swearing-in a new governor if Newsom is recalled. It would likely be the end of October.

According to the CA. Secretary of State’s website, county election officials have 30 days after the election to complete the official canvass (vote count). On the 38th day after the election, the Secretary of State is expected to certify the election results. If it is a successful recall, the new governor would then take the oath of office and assume the position for the remainder of the current term through Jan. 2, 2023. So, there you go.

Unfortunately, I do have a problem with the election ballot envelope. Our ballots should be confidential and I do not like my name and especially my legal signature on the outside of the envelope. This could lead to fraud and the confiscation of my signature! Actually, I am really disgusted with this.

The envelope can be designed to cover the name and signature by using the flap to do just that. I know this because for the past 20 years I have been voting by absentee ballot as my precinct is too small to have an in-person voting place. All my previous ballot envelopes have provided this protection. So, what is up with this recall ballot envelope? I will not be signing my ballot envelope until I am standing in the county clerk’s office to hand it in. No, I will not be sending my ballot through the U.S. mail.

Moffett Creek Bridge

A friend called and asked if I knew when Caltrans plans on completing the building of the Moffett Creek Bridge at the bottom of Forest Mt. on this Scott Valley side. No, I didn’t. After a few phone calls to Caltrans’ Yreka and Redding offices and only receiving a recorded message, I decided to call again and jot down the email address that was announced. That worked! Kurt Villavicencio, the Public Information Officer for Dist. 2, emailed Caltrans’ March 8, 2021 press release and added that the bridge should be finished by November or before winter sets in. He did say that the extensive Northern California fires have caused a few delays.

The press release said the bridge replacement is expected to cost $10.2 million, which includes $7.7 million in funding from CA. Senate Bill 1.

I only travel to Yreka once or twice a month, but noticed the old bridge was removed rather quickly. That seemed like a good sign. The shoulder approaches of the highway to the bridge will also be widened to conform to the new wider bridge and comply with current safety standards.

Before the work began and (I think) five traffic lights installed, Caltrans repaved Peach Orchard Road and part of East Moffett Creek Road. It was needed to facilitate that short detour route. Thanks Caltrans as it sure makes it smooth going!

I don’t do much Facebook, so didn’t think to check it, but apparently Caltrans shares info on it and Twitter.

Garden report

The cooler temperatures certainly help with the soil staying moist, especially the lower night temps. Now, I only need to irrigate the row of vegetables once a day. Even the soil around the pumpkins is staying damp. Hopefully, we are past the high temps of this dreadfully long, hot summer. Days are getting shorter and I am sure looking forward to fall. If only we could get September rains to put the wildfires out!

The multi-colored yellow and pink spiky large dahlia is finally blooming. It is over five-feet tall, but is about three weeks late with these flowers. It has been watered well every morning and fertilized several times, so I am blaming the excessive heat and smoke as the culprit for the lateness.

Nearly all of the volunteer four o’clock flowers are white. Bummer. But, the area still looks like a tropical jungle with the big thick greenery near lots of tall pink anemones under the pine tree. In a different area, volunteer purple morning glories are crawling all over the tall hollyhocks, fence, railings and anything they can find. Their big green heart-shaped leaves add a wild look to the dried gladiola stems. The cosmos also seem to be a bit late in blooming, but have started with white and purple blooms. The yellow, red and orange zinnias, maroon elephant amaranths, Echinacea pink-petals and big yellow Black-eye Susans are still looking good. Yep, the flower garden looks like late-August – a bit straggly, but with lots of color. Oops, it’s September!

Tomatoes are gradually ripening and I have been picking several each morning. Finally -- made my first batch of salsa. My stomach doesn’t like bell peppers and never did like hot peppers, so I use chopped onion and pressed homegrown garlic for the heat. Pretty simple, but I like it.

I also decided to harvest a 15-inch-tall basil plant that was about to start seeding out. Just took a knife and cut all the branches at about four-inches up from the soil and put them in a paper bag to dry. The leaves are a large Kelly green. Ah, the aroma of basil in the house! One other basil plant looks good and I should probably harvest it soon.

The two months of extra hot days and nights combined with the yucky smoke has certainly affected some plants and gardens. Hope your garden is doing well.

May peace and calm be with you this week. Smile – just cuz it makes you feel better!

 

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County. Columns from the past can be found at: lizwriteslife.blogspot.com. Call her at 530-467-3515.

# # #

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...