Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Liz Writes Life 9-25-18


September 25, 2018

Liz Writes Life

Garden

Tomatoes seem to be getting ripe all at once, which is normal. It is officially autumn! I need to make several batches of Green Tomato Sweet Relish, while there are still green tomatoes. It doesn’t take very many to grind-up eight cups to go with four cups of ground-up bell peppers (several red ones) and four cups of yellow onions. My brine recipe came from my sister-in-law, Darlene, who said it was “Aunt Lil’s Bread n Butter” pickle recipe. I used four cups of apple cider vinegar, four cups of white sugar, two tablespoons of pickling salt, two heaping tablespoons mustard seed and the secret ingredient of two teaspoons of turmeric. It’s the basic Bread n Butter recipe. Heat until it almost boils and put in hot jars. Because I give so many away and want it to be safe, I hot water bath the jars for 20 minutes.

Then, I decided to make some Italian tomato sauce. After dipping them in boiling water, then cold and taking off the skins, I cooked the tomatoes down almost to half. Then, I added my homegrown herbs of oregano (lots), basil, apple cider vinegar, several teaspoons of salt and several tablespoons of sugar. Oops, I just realized that I forgot to put in parsley.
Because every tomato had splits in the top, I cut off the top part of the tomato. I really don’t like this variety and I don’t recall the name. I want to go back to using the Medford variety and may have to start the plants from seed in February or early March. Um, that will make me have to plan ahead – a lot better than I did this year, for sure.
I checked the local weather and it is supposed to get pretty hot this week. Ugh! I remember many past years, when there have already been some good freezes by now. Guess, I am ready for fall and to reduce the amount of irrigation I need to do. The cooler 40-degree nights do help hold the water in the soil.

Oh, I did find a soaker hose that correctly leaked throughout the entire 50-feet of hose. It was the brand of Black and Decker. I hope to put out a lot more soaker hoses next year and get back to using timers, so I don’t have to hand irrigate so much.

POW

Let’s see if I can catch you up on information from our last Scott Valley Protect Our Water meeting on Aug. 30th. Several weeks ago, I shared what Mark Baird had explained about the Citizens for Fair Representation lawsuit and Erin Ryan discussing Congressman Doug LaMalfa meeting with U.S. Secretary of Interior Ryan Zinke and U.S. Ag. Secretary Sonny Perdue. So, I’ll re-visit my notes and share some of what our Dist. 5 Siskiyou Co. Supervisor, Ray Haupt, told us.

Ray said a decision has been made regarding the jail, even though it wasn’t easy. The county will retro-fit the Charlie Byrd Juvenile Detention Center and is in the process of obtaining final cost estimates with a ground-breaking planned for 2020.

Ray, then, explained some of the issues for those affected by the July Klamathon Fire in Hornbrook. In order to rebuild, all properties must be cleaned-up from any contaminates. The State of California must certify each site. The county is working closely with Cal-Recycle, which is the state agency in charge and is providing a program, where Hazardous Teams will clean-up private property for free. Some homeowners may have insurance that will cover the hazardous waste removal, but for anyone who does not, Ray hopes they will use the program.

Also, he said an Emergency Ordinance had been written that will allow property owners to camp on their property, if they lost their home to a natural disaster. The supervisors were to vote on the ordinance at the next board meeting. Sorry, I don’t know the vote, but I bet it passed.

J-H Ranch

This summer, Ray received complaints that leaders from the JH Ranch were chasing people out of Shackleford Falls – a local swimming hole – claiming JH had jurisdiction. Ray dived into the situation. JH Ranch does not own Shackleford Falls area. He talked to the company, Ecotrust Forest Management, Inc., that owns the area and learned JH does not have a permit or any claim of authority over Shackleford Falls. So, any dictator-type of attitude by JH leaders should be reported to Ray and the county.

JH Ranch Adventures continues to expand its programs in Siskiyou County and into foreign countries. Neighbors are frustrated with its much-expanded populations of youth and adults in the little mountain pasture up French Creek. Traffic on French Creek Road is much higher than it was 30 years ago.

I remember when the Johnston family first purchased the ranch in the late 1970s and began its program in the early 1980s. Zoning was established in 1980 with the Scott Valley Area Plan, but I don’t know what kind of permit was needed for this kind of business back then. Permits, regulations and the JH business has certainly evolved since the last century, when Johnstons obtained a “development” permit from the county. Currently, JH has brought a lawsuit against Cal-Fire regarding expansion. To say the least, the situation is complex and a legal wrestling match.

The next Scott Valley Protect Our Water meeting will be this Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Fort Jones Community Center. Ray will be there to share more info on county issues, including Klamath dams and water decisions in the Klamath basin.

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County and lives near Callahan. Call her at 530-467-3515. Check out her blog at: LizWritesLife.blogspot.com

# # #


No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...