Tuesday, May 24, 2022

More on the June 7 Primary Election

Liz Writes Life

May 25, 2022

More on the election

Yes, I figured it out. Last week, I was initially stumped because the Sample Ballot for the Statewide Direct Primary Election on Tuesday, June 7, 2022, showed that we need to vote for two U.S. Senate candidates. But then I reflected that both of these “contests” were for the same position. The difference is that the term ended on the position this year, which Alex Padilla was appointed after the previously-elected U.S. Senator Kamala Harris was tapped to serve as U.S. Vice President in 2020. So, Padilla is completing Harris’ term that ends this year; and then that position is open for an election to the next six-year term. That is why Padilla and several others are running for both of these contests.

I checked and U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein’s term does not expire until 2024, so her position or office is not open.

Four people are running for California United States Dist. 1 Representative. I will be voting for Doug LaMalfa, whom I feel does an incredible job. He knows us. He visits us. When I chat with him, I know he truly cares. Other candidates are another Republican Tim Geist, Democrat Max Steiner and non-party candidate Rose Penelope Yee.

There are four people running for the CA. Dist. 1 State Assembly. Republican Megan Dahle is just finishing her first term and is running. But, there is a Republican challenger named Kelly Tanner from Shasta County. I heard her speak several weeks ago and then visited with her. I was impressed and will likely vote for her. Peace and Freedom candidate Joshua Brown is also running and Democrat Belle Starr Sandwith.

The State Superintendent of Public Instruction is a nonpartisan office. There are seven people running and I don’t know who to vote for, so will need to check with the California GOP website and the Howard Johnson Taxpayers Association to see their suggestions.

At the county level, two people are running for the County Superintendent of Schools. I also need to do some investigation regarding how I will vote on them.

Most of the other Siskiyou County offices do not have challengers. I have had several people ask me about Measure P. This is about the county auditor-controller office. A recent past elected official in that office has been quite controversial. Many cemetery and other district boards in the county felt targeted by that county auditor. At this point, it seems to me that the county supervisors should appoint the auditor-controller. It is a tough job. I will be voting “yes” on Measure P.

Currently, Diane Olson was appointed by the board of supervisors to the office of auditor-controller. I have known Diane for years. I have seen her work in several businesses and serve on grass roots boards. She is a stickler for accuracy and quite competent. I will be writing Diane Olsen’s name in for the auditor-controller position.

I also support Ray Haupt as our Dist. 5 Siskiyou Co. Supervisor; Jeremiah LaRue as our sheriff; Kirk Andrus as our District Attorney; Laura Bynum as our county clerk; Craig Kay as our assessor-recorder and Jennifer Taylor as treasurer-tax collector.

There are a few California offices I missed. I suggest that you check with your state party for their recommendations. Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Assoc. provides conservative suggestions that I usually agree with. Just do a search for that website on the internet and it should come up.

 The Ballot!

Gotta say that I am quite disappointed about the mail-in ballot envelope. Once again, the envelope does not cover our signature. I do not like my signature on the outside of the envelope, where it can be photo copied. I have been told that this envelope is what the Secretary of State prescribes. I still don’t like it and will not be sending it through the mail.

I will vote early and take it to the Siskiyou County Clerk’s office or hand-deliver it to a polling place in Etna on June 7th – election day.

I will also write a letter of complaint to our county clerk and the Secretary of State. Our envelopes used to cover our signature on our ballot and should do so again.

10 percent of snowpack

The U.S. Forest Service employees checked the local snowpack stations at the south end of Scott Valley, Scott Mt., and on Salmon Mt. behind Etna and the results were devastating at just 10 percent of the many-decades average. Swampy John, established in 1951 at 5,500 feet elevation – behind Etna – showed the highest amount of snow at 23 inches. Yep, that is bad. The average for Swampy John’s May 1st measurement is 50 inches.

On that note, the USFS and CalFire are sending out notices asking residents to clean-up fuels of trees, brush, weeds and grass around our homes. With that second week of May batches of spring rain and cooler temps, the grass and weeds finally grew. My grandson, Bryce, and I are taking turns weed-eating to get a good clearance around my house. Hope you can do the same!

May peace and calm be with you this week. Smile – just cuz it makes you feel better!

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County. Columns from the past can be found at: lizwriteslife.blogspot.com. Call her at 530-467-3515.

# # #

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...