Thursday, August 5, 2021

Liz Writes Life 8-4-21 State Water Resources Control Board may curtail water rights in Siskiyou County

Liz Writes Life

Aug. 4, 2021

This drastic drought is certainly affecting our streams and Scott and Shasta Rivers. Because of water-flow needs of fish and Endangered Species Act-listed coho salmon, the State Water Resources Control Board has issued a draft drought emergency regulation that will curtail many water diversions and may include adjudicated wells within the Scott River adjudication. Yep, this is causing concern for farmers, ranchers and other agricultural-type of businesses.

The draft regulation is under the Klamath Watershed Special Drought Regulations “Emergency Curtailment Where Insufficient Flows are Available to Protect Fish in Certain Watersheds.”

In immediate response, and hoping to alleviate additional hardship to businesses, the county board of supervisors sent its comments on the draft proposal on July 23, 2021. I chatted with Board Chairman, Ray Haupt, about the situation and he sent me the comments document. So, I will share the major points made by the county.

First, the county “strongly” urges the State Board to work with landowners and recognize the many voluntary actions accomplished this year and planned for the future. Creative and collaborative solutions can provide high quality and adequate amounts of water for the watersheds. Voluntary and cooperative projects are the key to success.

Next: Irrigators and irrigation districts have already decreased deliveries or stopped irrigation to address drought conditions. Farmers have fallowed fields and sold livestock.

County staff is working in coordination with CA. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife to do a feasibility study on the high mountain lakes project that could provide significant amount of cold water to the Scott River. In other words, store the water up high and release it to flow down streams into the river, when needed.

To allow voluntary actions and projects, the county asks that regulatory permits and authorizations be simplified and streamlined. Some Safe Harbor agreements in Shasta Valley have faced obstacles from government agencies.

The county said it is discouraged over the lack of quantification for past and current efforts that have been intended to improve the Klamath Watershed; and asked for recognition and quantification of these benefits.

The county also asked for help in dealing with and stopping the extensive unregulated use of water for illegal activities. (Boy -- that would sure be helpful.)

The state’s decision on the curtailment of legal water rights will be made soon.  The county was Johnny-on-the-spot in getting these comments to the water board.

Garden report

Tomatoes are finally setting-on and getting bigger. I have heard complaints from friends that the actual tomato fruit is not growing very fast or setting-on their plants very well. I believed the same (last month) and we are blaming the extra hot 100-plus degree temps for this problem, causing blossoms to fall off. But, several of my plants have grown to nearly five-feet tall and look quite healthy with blossoms, so I think they will produce a significant amount of tomatoes. I bet others’ plants do as well.

Last week, I fertilized the tomatoes, giant pumpkins and cantaloupes with the Hawaiian Buds and Blooms and was surprised to find a baseball-sized cantaloupe had set on along with several smaller ones. Three plants are growing well, yet four didn’t seem to be doing much, but have since started spreading out. So, I am hoping for ripe cantaloupe in September.

I am trying to grow a few giant pumpkins. The vines are really growing and one plant is nearly 20-feet wide. It has a basketball-sized pumpkin and quite a few others have set-on. I know enough to cut-off the extra pumpkins, so the nutrients and water will go to just the one pumpkin. But, I figured I better read-up on the “secrets” of growing them big and I certainly learned a few things.

First, I learned that you want as many leaves as possible, because the leaves feed energy to the growing pumpkin. Luckily, my leaves are big and very healthy. Yay! Next, I really do need to prune all new blossoms and cut-off the extra pumpkins. That was a job! The basketball-sized one is just a few feet from the main plant and roots, which should be helpful. I also need to prune the ends of the vines now that the plant is so large.

Roots can grow at the joint of every leaf, so it is important to not allow this to happen near the pumpkin, so it will have room to grow. But, extra roots in other areas of the vine will provide nutrients to the growing pumpkin. Hum, my dirt is so dry, where it doesn’t receive water, that I don’t think this will happen this year.

Each morning, I hand-water several gallons on each plant and on 100-degree days run the soaker hose in early evening. The three plants have withstood the hot temps pretty well – no wilting! Yep, I watch like a mother hen. Apparently, mid-August is when the plants will utilize the most water and nutrients; and nighttime is when the pumpkins do their growing!

I left one plant un-pruned just to see how large its pumpkins will get. And I must say that a drought year with really hot temps is likely not the best time to try to grow an extra giant pumpkin!

Gotta mention how pleased I am with the two-by-four-foot bed of begonias. These have filled-in and are producing pink, magenta and orange flowers. They do get pine tree shade by 2 p.m. and a soaking of water each morning. I believe the several doses of fertilizer really helped them. This colorful spot makes me very happy!

May peace and calm be with you this week. Smile – just cuz it makes you feel better!

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County. Columns from the past can be found at: lizwriteslife.blogspot.com. Call her at 530-467-3515.

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...