Thursday, July 1, 2021

Liz Writes Life 6-30-2021 -- Water Board meeting on Scott and Shasta Rivers is July 1

Liz Writes Life

June 30, 2021

Garden update

Yep, it is hot! But as long as the plants have water they are growing by leaps and bounds. It is time to fertilize, again, with the Hawaiian Buds and Blooms this week. I weeded everything in the vegetable garden, last week, and will need to do it again later this week. Doesn’t take long for the weeds to grow, when they get water too – from the soaker hoses!

My gardening is always an adventure and I had a surprise last Wednesday. I just happened to look out my bedroom window about 4 p.m. and a scrawny yearling deer was climbing through the boards in the garden fence. He or she has been hanging around the place here by itself. One doe just had twins and another doe was hit by a car three weeks ago on Hwy 3 and died. So, I don’t know what is up with this one.

I actually felt sorry for the poor thing, but was not about to let it eat the tomato or other vegetable plants. It did get a few bites of a foot-tall amaranth and much taller hollyhock. So, I opened one garden gate and went through the opposite gate to calmly try to push it out. It missed the gate opening several times and then jumped and cleared the six-and-a-half-foot tall fence! (The top two feet is just several lines of wire.) Whew, at least it was out – without a wreck.

So, what should I do to make the garden deer-proof? And how much money would I have to spend? I am cheap.

Last fall, one doe was walking up on the porch, jumping in the garden; then, after munching, jumping back over the short-railing onto the porch and out. I watched her do it one day – it was full daylight! Most of the garden was done. I had canned and given away most of the tomatoes, so I let her eat. But, I knew I would have a deer problem sometime this summer.

After thinking and thinking and sleeping on it, the next morning I remembered some large one-inch squared plastic netting I had purchased at least 10 years ago. Hum? It has been folded-up and laying outside the garage in the weather, so I was quite shocked when it looked like it was worth using. It had been 100-feet long and eight feet wide, but was now in several shorter lengths from previous uses.

Took me about two hours to get it up about half-way around the garden fence, which was quite fast for this old gal. At least I thought it was fast.

Being thrifty, I found the orange baling twine I picked up from Highway 3 (fell off a rancher’s pickup), cut it into smaller pieces and used it to tie-up the plastic netting to posts and boards and even the wires. I have a nice little two-step stool that worked perfect to safely reach the higher places, since I am height-challenged!

The next day, I was able to purchase much smaller-squared netting that is also 100 feet long, but only seven-feet wide. And, it took another two-hours to get this up around the rest of the fence -- on Saturday morning. I left extra at both ends, so I can barricade the porch from deer entry!

Gotta say, I am pleased to have accomplished this task in just a few days. It doesn’t look pretty, but if it works I don’t care what it looks like. After all, I am proudly a Redneck!

So that is my garden saga from last week!

Drought is bad

A friend sent me a notice from the State Water Resources Control Board about a public meeting that will be held, tomorrow, July 1, 2021 regarding drought actions that could be implemented in the Scott River and Shasta River watersheds.

The meeting is from 2 to 4 p.m. and can be attended using zoom through the internet. A quorum of the State Water Board may be present at the meeting. However, no State Water Board action will be taken. But, management plans will certainly be put forward. To join the zoom meeting, go to the Water Board website and do a search.

This is an ongoing situation. On June 1, 2021, the State Water Board issued Notices of Water Unavailability to 102 diverters in the Scott River watershed. On June 15, 2021, California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife sent a letter to the State Water Board that recommended drought minimum instream flows for the Scott River and Shasta. CDFW also requested the State Water Board adopt emergency regulations. Nope, this is not good.

On June 25, 2021, CDRW sent another letter about the low flows in both rivers.

So, the State Water Board is assessing a number of actions that may be taken to address water shortages in the watersheds, including funding for water conservation or efficiency projects, temporary urgency changes, use of instream flow dedications under Water Code section 1707, forbearance, a drought emergency regulation, and increased enforcement.

Back on May 10, 2021, Governor Gavin Newsom extended the drought State of Emergency to cover 41 counties. He cited critical low flows in locations, including the Klamath Basin. Stats show that the annual precipitation levels are half of normal across much of the Klamath Basin and that includes Shasta and Scott Valleys.

You can bet our county is working on the issue. But, the state agencies are going to be making mandates and soon.

May peace and calm be with you this week. Smile – just cuz it makes you feel better!

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County and lives near Callahan. Columns from the past can be found at: lizwriteslife.blogspot.com. Call her at 530-467-3515.

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...