Monday, September 28, 2020

Liz Writes Life 9-30-2020

 

Sept. 30, 2020

Liz Writes Life

The cool 40-degree nights last week were great for the garden. Shorter daylight hours also help with the reduced need for irrigation. Sunday morning, the dew was really heavy throughout my garden! Yay!

So, I was troubled when this last hot blast of summer temps attacked this week. On Sunday, I saw where evacuations were expanded down in Napa County as the Glass Fire blew-up and was threatening the city of St. Helena. And then the Zogg Fire took-off in Shasta County causing more evacuations. Gee whiz, I sure pray for the rains of fall to get here.

Locally, the press releases on the Slater, Devil and Fox Fires in Siskiyou County showed the milder weather and cooler night temps helped the firefighting efforts, last week. Sure was glad the evacuation alerts and evac warnings were rescinded on the South Fork of the Scott River and Callahan. I just pray the winds don’t whip the fires back up.

My tomatoes keep plugging along and I canned a second batch of cooked-down sauce and 10 pints of stewed tomatoes. The plants are much bigger and healthier this year -- unfortunately I did not stake them very well. So, they are falling over themselves making it more difficult to find the ripe ones that tend to be underneath. I am grateful they are producing. Many times, in the past, we have had hard freezes by early to mid-September and the summer vegetable plants were done. Not this year.

The cucumbers look scraggly, but are still producing and I just picked the last cantaloupe. I was tired of finding homes for the zucchini, so I stopped irrigating two plants. They grew together and were huge. I am surprised they are still green and sorta producing. Yep, I have decided I really don’t like zucchini – at least not in late September! I will keep irrigating the purple onions. The tops are healthy and over three-feet tall. I just hope the bulbs are still growing.

Fire Tax

Every-so-often, someone asks me about the Fire Tax that many of us petitioned against. I think it was back in 2014 or so. Many of us joined with the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association, which successfully lobbied the CA. State Legislature and governor to cease collecting the fire prevention fee. So, that was a good step in the right direction.

Then, HJTA brought class action litigation to try to obtain refunds from the unlawful double fire tax that we had paid to the state – under duress – for several years. Unfortunately, the Third Dist. Court of Appeals recently affirmed the trial court’s dismissal of the case. HJTA issued a statement of disappointment this month.

I just wanted to close this long saga regarding the CA. Fire Tax (fee). We already knew the monies we paid were going into the state’s general fund and not into a fire prevention fund as was touted. But, it was worth a try to get the refunds and I am glad that HJTA is willing to go to bat for rural residents.

Religious rights

There is an updated article in the Christian Post.com on the Grace Community Church in Los Angeles County that has challenged the county and California government prohibiting indoor church gatherings, because of covid-19 regulations. The county has sought to shut-down the church and hold its Pastor, John MacArthur, in contempt for repeatedly violating the county order. Attorneys from the Thomas More Society have been defending the church. They argued that Governor Gavin Newsom’s state orders violate several provisions of the state constitution and have been applied arbitrarily and discriminatorily against churches.

Last week, Los Angeles Co. Superior Court Judge Mitchell L. Beckloff ruled the pastor and church are entitled to a full trial on the merits of their challenge, before they can be held in contempt for violating the orders. Ironically, because of the state’s covid-19 shut-down orders the contempt trial may not take place until early 2021.

An attorney for Grace Community Church said the ruling is significant, because “no person can or should be held in contempt of a constitutionally invalid order.” So, the constitution is the point of contention.

Meanwhile, Pastor MacArthur said he will continue to hold church meetings, even though the county has said it is terminating a lease on the property, where church congregants park their cars. The county is also seeking a court order to close the Grace Community Church.

Also, Pastor MacArthur said he recently received a letter threatening up to six months in jail if he continues to hold indoor worship services. MacArthur responded that he has done many kinds of ministry work, but so far has not had the opportunity to do Christian ministry in jail. “So, bring it on,” was his response.

Voting

I received my sample ballot in the mail and will be checking it out. The Siskiyou Republicans have met and decided on their support of candidates and petitions. Next week, I’ll share my opinions as well as the Republicans.

I do know that the HJTA opposes Prop. 15 saying it will initially increase the cost of living in California and also pushes the camel’s nose under the tent to continue to raise taxes (on private property), because it raises taxes on commercial and industrial properties.

For sure, I will be voting “no” on Prop. 15. California is constantly trying to raise taxes and the Democrat leaders would love to do away with 1974 Prop. 13 protection and drastically increase our home property taxes.

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County and lives near Callahan. Columns from the past can be found at: lizwriteslife.blogspot.com. Call her at 530-467-3515.

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...