Sunday, August 2, 2020

Liz Writes Life 7-29-2020

July 29, 2020

Liz Writes Life

Garden

Loved, loved, loved the heavy hour-long rain we received last Wednesday night. One previously-empty bucket had over an inch in it. Yep, didn’t have to irrigate for nearly two days. But, I sure don’t like the fires that start from the lightning. Good luck and prayers for firefighters and safety personnel! Go get ‘um!

Surprisingly, the zucchini babies have not grown much this past week. The plants are huge and the leaves stayed happy through this heat. But, there are over a dozen zucchini that are only about four-inches long. I picked one that was close to five inches. The plants are healthy with lots of blooms, so I don’t have the faintest idea why the actual vegetables are being slow. The first zucchinis I picked seemed to double in size overnight. One caught me off-guard at nine-inches long, but that was two weeks ago. Hum, puzzling.

I see baby cantaloupe starting and several tomato plants are boasting quite a few green tomatoes. There is one tiny bell pepper starting as well. Yay!

One rhubarb plant had some stems kinda drying-up, which is strange, cuz it gets plenty of water. So I harvested about half of it. Most stems pulled right out with a little wiggling, which to me means they were ready for harvest. The plant looks funky with half the stems gone. I used the huge leaves to mulch around the plant and to cover the center of the plant to protect it from the sun. On Sunday afternoon, in the 100 degree heat, the plant was doing fine. Whew!

I have been told to only harvest a few stems at a time, but these plants are prolific and huge at five to six-feet wide with very tall stems and giant leaves. They seem to need the mature stems removed and typically grow back to a large plant within a month. So far, I haven’t killed them and they are producing well. Guess, what I am doing is working. Normally, I don’t like to harvest during a hot spell, but this plant needed some clean-up.

The snapdragons and feverfew are dying back and need to be trimmed. Under the pine tree, several four o’clocks are nearly three-feet tall and producing white trumpets flowers. I am a little bummed. I like the bright yellow, pink and red blossoms and will not likely get them this year, because I let these volunteer from last year’s plants; and have found they tend to revert to white. But, I love the green foliage and mixed with the ever-expanding tall pink Japanese anemones, it is starting to look like a jungle! Another yay!

The six-foot tall pincushion dahlia opened its first multicolored pink-yellow blooms. This plant also demands a lot of water and wilts by mid-afternoon if it doesn’t get enough in the morning. (It looks so sad!) Oh, yeah, the lavender phlox are in full bloom. Ummm, I love their scent -- reminds me of picking raspberries at Mrs. Wixom’s house on Etna’s Main Street, when I was a kid. They bloomed throughout her many rows of raspberry plants.

New scam

Well, this one is interesting and may not happen here, but it is certainly worth exposing. This is about car-jacking. The would-be offender sticks a piece of paper, receipt, flyer, etc, to your back window. After you are in the car and see the paper, while backing out, it is natural to stop, get out and remove the paper. This is when they attack you and take your car. If you are a woman, your purse is likely in the car with money and personal info.

So, check your back window (and front car window) before you get in your car. If you didn’t and there is a paper there, leave it! Keep doors locked and drive away from the area. Geez, the bad guys and gals are getting trickier and trickier.

Church restrictions

With all the rules and regulations regarding covid-19, some things just seem odd – and I won’t go into all the rioting and those frustrating issues. So, this story caught my eye.

In Carson City, NV the Calvary Chapel of the Desert was informed by the state that it was violating strict restrictions of church gatherings – apparently there were too many people in the building. Pastor Chuck Carver thought about the situation and figured out a clever way around the requirements. He installed slot machines in the church.

“We put up slot machines and bam – no more restrictions,” Chuck told “The Babylon Bee” news. “The authorities dispersed and we pretty much get to do whatever we want.”

He admitted it was “kinda goofy” preaching his sermon in front of the blinking lights. On the upside, he added that the slot machines are making up for tithing the church has lost over the last few months of no-gathering allowed. And, yep, some of the congregants were testing their luck putting a few quarters into the machines. I wondered if he was likely to preach about the risks and sin of gambling?

Now, I gotta admit that I was taken-in by this “fake news” story. It seemed a bit farfetched, but times are strange. I questioned the name of the news site “The Babylon Bee” and did some internet investigating and found it writes Christian satire. So, if you repeat this story be sure to acknowledge it is satire, but it could be pretty close to the truth! Hope I made you smile!

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County and lives near Callahan. Columns from the past can be found at: lizwriteslife.blogspot.com. Call her at 530-467-3515.

 

 # # #


No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...