Monday, July 6, 2020

Liz Writes Life 7-8-2020


July 8, 2020

Liz Writes Life

Oh boy, did I relish the cooler temperatures last week, especially at night when it got down to the upper-40s. It really cooled-off the house with all the windows open and ceiling fans going.

The red roses are finally blooming, but I have only been able to enjoy the gorgeous fragrance from three. Why, you ask? Well, it is cuz I have not pruned either of the rose bushes for at least three years. Both are getting very tall and that is where the red one is putting its blooms -- at six to eight feet high. I can’t smell them up there even when I am on my tippy-toes! Hum, nobody’s fault, but mine. Guess I need to prune them back after they are done with this batch of roses. Yeah, right.

The tall perennial yarrow is just now turning bright yellow. It looks so good near the large Shasta daisies and volunteer magenta lambs’ ears. The positioning of my perennials was not very well planned, but I think I like it that way. It is a “wild” garden for sure. Can’t believe one large volunteer columbine still has its lavender and purple blooms. I really want to transplant several of the younger volunteer columbines into a grouping in this spot under the pine tree. Maybe it will get done right after I prune the rose bushes! Yep, right, sure, hopefully.

After the end-of-June-week of heat, it looked like June 29 and 30th would be much cooler and perfect for transplanting.  Nothing like 70 degree temps compared to 102! Still, it took some talking to myself, (you know getting up the gumption,) but I transplanted over 30 of the onions that had been started from seed. They were about seven inches tall and it was the perfect time. They look great! Some didn’t get transplanted; cuz I was tired and decided they would make nice green onions in a week or two. Smiley face!

I also transplanted chocolate mint to the vegetable garden in a somewhat shady spot between hollyhocks and a six-foot-wide bush that turns red in the fall. Darn, can’t remember its name. Oops. Anyway, the mint transplanted well. This mint has been fighting for its space in the wild perennial flower garden and it is not as prolific as the regular mint. So I wanted to try giving it a bigger space. Enough might grow that I can harvest the leaves for tea.

Oh, the story on the green beans! Only one plant came up from the first planting, so I took red solo cups and cut-out the bottom-inch, buried them in the soil and planted two beans apiece. To get them started, I soaked them overnight. That was back at the end of May. Several weeks ago, I lost patience and decided to check out why this batch were not growing and started carefully pulling up the red solo cups. Nope, no sign of the beans. Finally, found a mushy bean. Hum? Then, I noticed a mole tunnel running parallel with the bean row. But, I thought they were protected by the red solo cups?

So, I checked the internet and it claimed that moles eat insects and bugs not seeds or beans. One site said that mice go down the mole tunnels and eat the seeds. Hum, these mole tunnels are a problem this year as I lost a second cucumber seedling to a tunnel. I must admit that the tunnels are harder to see with several inches of lawn clippings on the soil. One video suggested using hot pepper spices to put down the holes to warn them off. I really thought the red solo cups would protect the beans from cutworms and the mole tunnels, so now I need to re-think my planting style for beans.

Gotta tell ya’ all that gardens seem to be a challenge this year. Nearly everyone I have talked to has had to replant seeds two and three times. I am not the only one complaining about mole tunnels; and gophers seem to be abundant as well, especially in lawns. (I don’t have a lawn.)

I can’t believe how much the zucchini plants have grown and it looks like the smaller plant has a two-inch zucchini on it! So, I try not to tout the wonderful growth of the zucchini to the slower-growing cucumbers and cantaloupe. Five tomato plants are growing well, but one Roma is extra small although it looks OK and has blossoms.

I fertilized most of the vegetable plants, including tomatoes, and also flowers like the glads, cosmos, four o’clocks, dahlia and amaranths. Hopefully, it will do the trick and give the cucs and cantaloupe a kick!
Happy gardening and enjoy these few days of milder temps!

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County and lives near Callahan. Columns from the past year can be found at: lizwriteslife.blogspot.com. Call her at 530-467-3515.

 # # #

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...