Monday, June 8, 2020

Liz Writes Life 6-10-2020


June 10, 2020

Liz Writes Life

Garden

Frost did hit on Monday morning. I believed it would and gathered more cardboard boxes last week to add to the tubs and buckets that I needed to cover the small and bigger plants. When uncovering, everything looked like they made it OK. The potatoes and bee balm were so high that I didn’t even try to cover them – even with sheets or blankets -- and they also looked good after the sun came up. Whew!

The butter crunch lettuce did not like another week with several days of 90 degree temps and began to bolt. So, I harvested about a third of it. The spinach has not yet bolted, but is quite tall with giant crinkly leaves. I looked up how to freeze spinach and it is so easy. You just rinse it, squish it into plastic bags, seal it up and put in the freezer. Several instructions said that because it was not blanched, it should be used within six months. Hum, that means before Christmas. Ended-up with four gallon bags of spinach and gave a big batch and much of the lettuce to a friend. I cut the lettuce off at about an inch above the soil. It should re-grow and if the temps stay cool for a few weeks it might be edible – not bitter. We will see!

The peas are blooming and attaching to the two-foot-tall page wire fencing I staked for it to climb. At 8 o’clock on Saturday morning, it was quite nice, so I sat on the ground taking my time weeding the seedling purple onions. They were almost two-inches high with the roots still quite fragile. Good thing I finally got to the project, cuz some weeds were getting up to three-inches with bigger roots that wanted to pull-up everything with them. This onion seed bed is only about a foot-and-a-half-square, but it ended-up with at least 60 tiny onions still rooted and growing. I packed the soil around them, which should help. I haven’t transplanted onions for many years and I think I will need to transplant them to their permanent growing-row when they are about six to seven inches tall. This is another “we will see” project.

Five zucchini came up and loved the heat. Will need to thin them to just two or three plants or else I will be overwhelmed for sure in August. There are ten pickling cucumbers up and about seven cantaloupe boasting two leaves in the row with the one three-leafed cantaloupe that survived being put in the ground as a plant. The green beans did not fare as well. Only one came up. Hum, what to do?

After the good daylong rain on Saturday, May 30, 2020 and a few more sprinkles, the soil was just right for plowing-up the weeds on Tuesday. I used the old-fashioned push-plow. It did a good job and I did get most of the dreaded mallow weeds out. My, it looked nice. I just love newly-turned soil with the promise of good things to come!

This was the only part of the between-garden-rows that was not covered in this year’s grass clippings that I am using for mulch. It needed to get done immediately as my source for fresh grass clippings would be on Wednesday. Yep, I was able to get a bunch of tubs filled with nice clippings, loaded in the car and spread out on the weeded soil. This looks really nice, too.

I have been getting clippings for over a month – a lot of them – and most of the garden is now mulched. Can’t believe how easy the few weeds (wild morning glory are the worst) pull right up, when they do make it through the clippings. My plan is to continue to add clippings all summer, because they dry-out and shrink from the heat. Any extra clippings will go in the perennial flower areas to try and suffocate the noxious rye grasses and weeds in there.

I also planted cosmos in the flowerbed areas and several are up. The snapdragons are in full bloom with burgundy reds, oranges, yellows and one white. Even though I weeded this area to reduce the volunteer four o-clocks, I need to thin them again. I bet there are still 50 or more than must be removed. One rose bush is gracing the world with bright pinkish-yellow blooms and several pale pink and yellow columbine are also blooming. Oh, the wild Shasta Daisies are also open. I did weed a bunch of them out as well, cuz they were taking over one flowerbed where the gladiolus bulbs are planted. Ended-up with a few adding some June smiles.

R & R

Life in the United States is in turmoil with fears of the Covid-19 virus, to mask ourselves or not, the holding of peaceful rallies, marching of some-times not-so-peaceful protests, riots, terribly destructive looting and extremely strong opinions.

Atrocities have occurred and need to be addressed. I pray for our leaders -- that calm will be restored at all levels of governments, cities and communities. But, in my opinion, solutions will not be found until respect and responsibility become the norm throughout our society and our melting-pot of cultures.

There will always be bullies. There will be people who do not do the right thing for none of us are perfect. That is why we have law enforcement. To enjoy liberty, all must abide by certain rules and values.

At this time, I want to thank our police, especially our local police and sheriff officers. Because of a few bad police officers, (and most of us have watched the disgraceful death of George Floyd) they all are being painted with the same label.

This is not right. It is not true. We have so many good and courageous and kind law enforcement officers, who deal with so many terrible situations, domestic violence, stealing and murders. They deserve our respect.

Thank you to our men and women in blue! Many of us do appreciate you and pray for your protection. And may a big humbling into mutual respect and self-responsibility become the common ground for future decisions and solutions in the agitated areas.

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County and lives near Callahan. Columns from the past year can be found at: lizwriteslife.blogspot.com. Call her at 530-467-3515.

 # # #


No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...