Monday, May 25, 2020

Liz Writes Life 5-27-20


May 27, 2020

Liz Writes Life

Memorial Day came early this year – at least for me. Two weeks ago, I purchased a bunch of fake flowers (for graves) thinking I was ahead of the game. Then, last week, I realized that Memorial Day was May 25, 2020 and purchased another 13 silk-type of flowers. It had been a busy week and I was pretty tired, but I did take my extra long screwdriver (for poking deep in the ground to stick the plastic stem) pealed the plastic hard-to-remove tags from the flowers and drove into the Etna Cemetery. It was cleaned-up from winter winds, mowed and looked beautiful.

This year, I remembered to take several plastic bags to stuff with the old weathered fake flowers -- and filled three bags. Because I sometimes can’t remember whose graves I put new flowers (the previous year) I now get all one color. This year was pink. I cleaned-off Grandma and Grandpa Dillman’s headstone, then my mom and dad’s. Next was Uncle Bob, who drowned with his good friend Fred Browne in the Scott River, when their pickup drove over the old-fashioned log railing on Horn Bridge during a blizzard on Dec. 4, 1951. Yep, it was tragic for the Dillman, Timmons and Browne families. Bob left his wife, Marion Timmons, and two small boys, John and Jim.

Uncle Con is beside Bob and he died before Bob in July 1943 at age 17; another tragic death. He was driving a team of horses raking hay, when the horses took-off galloping. Con fell in front of the rake and was killed. Can’t imagine the mess that must have been!

Aunt Clista also died at the young age of 17, when she caught pneumonia in early January 1932. She had battled pneumonia when she was younger and the doctor actually cut an inch out of a rib, so he could make a hole into the lung to suction out the damaging fluid. This would have been in the early 1920s.

Back in those days, big formal balls were held on holidays. Fort Jones hosted the New Year’s Eve dance. Clista was fighting a common cold, but wanted to attend the ball. She begged her mom, who finally relented. But, the next day Clista became ill and died Jan. 6, 1932. I’ve been told that grandma never forgave herself for letting Clista go to the dance. Oh, so frustrating are some of the decisions that we make!

My Aunt Evie lies beside Clista. She lived a full life and died in 1997.

My Aunt Rose Mae (Dillman) Hovenden is buried in the Hovenden plot with her husband, Charlie, his brother, Clarence, and his parents, Anna and Walter.

On the north side of the cemetery are a dozen or so Fowler relatives. Across the middle-driveway is my Uncle Charley Dillman’s grave and his wife and family.

My husband, Jack, is buried up in the oak trees by the Dannenbrinks. He did get bright yellow flowers. Pink really wasn’t his color.

Aunt Katie married Dick Luttrell and is buried in the Luttrell plot in Fort Jones Cemetery.

Oh, so back to Memorial Day. I still think of it as May 30th. Seems like lilacs, iris and peonies were always blooming, when I was a kid. I do have a dark lilac that still has blossoms, so I cut three bunches and brought them in the house. Yum, they smell delicious and hint softly of times past. Unfortunately, there is only one red bud that is about to burst on my only peony. But, I will enjoy it. A few iris are also in bloom.

I like Memorial Day. I like recalling my ancestors – the ones I knew and stories of the ones I didn’t. I miss the American Legion Perry Harris Post #270 and its ceremonies honoring our veterans, but I thank God for their service and offer prayers for liberty and peace. I love my country and its founders, who hammered-out a formidable constitution with a “Bill of Rights” to protect its citizens. Much more could be said of our current divisions and factions, including opinions on this Covid-19 virus, but all I will do is continue to pray for liberty, peace and relief from the virus – and be happy for the many good things that I have. Smile!

Eagles

A little over a week ago, a deer was hit on the highway right by my house. I noticed it in the ditch as birds were already eating on it. Big black crows made a lot of noise cawing about their find, but eagles ruled the roost. One morning, I went out on the porch and five golden eagles were flying in very low circles over my house and I could see a bald eagle sitting in the nearby pine tree. Such is life living in the great outdoors!

Grads

It was so nice to see photos of the Etna High School graduates lined-up on the lawn in front of the school. In these social distancing times, the 2020 graduates are certainly getting short-changed from celebratory events. As I drove slowly by, I recognized some of the grads and their names. Yep, I went to EHS with some of their grandparents! My goodness, how time flies.

I saw where College of the Siskiyous is holding a virtual ceremony that will be pre-recorded, arranged and edited by Siskiyou Media Council. All grads are invited to participate by submitting a short video or photograph. The ceremony will include music by the Vocal Jazz Ensemble, Community Band and speeches by the College President and other guests. I don’t know when the video or how the video will be aired – call 530-938-5373 for more info.

Garden

I felt foolish Friday morning, when it didn’t freeze. I had covered the tomatoes, bell peppers, one surviving cantaloupe plant and foot-tall potatoes. But, I didn’t feel as foolish on Saturday morning, when the thermometer said 34 degrees (under the porch roof) and there was a pretty good frost. I think the danger of extra cold mornings is over, especially with the weather stations reporting record heat for this week. Yuck! It is so frustrating, when summer temps attack and it is still May! 

Oh, I did start picking lettuce and spinach – mostly cuz they won’t like 90 degree temps.

Liz Bowen began writing ranch and farm news, published in newspapers, in 1976. She is a native of Siskiyou County and lives near Callahan. Columns from the past year can be found at: lizwriteslife.blogspot.com. Call her at 530-467-3515.

 # # #

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liz writes her last column

June 1, 2022 Liz Writes Life Well, I have some news – don’t know if it is good or bad? I have decided to end my newspaper column “Liz Wr...